Supported Employment (SE) is an approach to Vocational Rehabilitation that emphasizes helping participants to obtain competitive work in the community and providing the supports necessary to ensure their success in the workplace. The purpose of FRIENDS Supported Employment Services is to help a participant to find a Job that they would enjoy. To ensure that participants are going to be successful in this position, FRIENDS provides support to the individual throughout the entire process, providing support with job development, job searching, the interview process, and on the job training and support.
Work is an important part of life. People with disabilities benefit from working as much as, or more than, people without disabilities do. The benefits from work include financial independence and security, increased self-confidence, personal growth, skill development, and a more fulfilling social life.
FRIENDS uses a person-centered career planning model that takes into account your personal preferences, goals and dreams. We will respect your wishes and focus on your strengths. Our person-centered approach means you do not have to tackle job exploration all on your own. Your FRIENDS staff will help you in your employment search and the development of your desired career.
Job development is an ongoing process. Finding satisfying work doesn't happen by applying for a job in the newspaper. The process involves several phases and it all begins with YOU!
Job Preperation and Development
- FRIENDS Employment Services Staff will take the time to get to know you and help you determine your vocational interests. We will also help you define your talents and employment goals.
- FRIENDS will coordinate services with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and your community centered board.
- FRIENDS will work with employers in your community to find a job that matches your interests, works with your schedule and promotes your independence.
- Our relationship with a number of employers and business owners has been essential to successful job placements and has led to many diverse opportunities for individuals to obtain a job.
- FRIENDS Staff will work with you on creating a resume that reflects your skills and employment goals
- FRIENDS will support you in researching jobs, as well as practicing and scheduling interviews.
- When you are ready to begin your new job, your Job Coach will make sure you understand your responsibilities and your new boss's expectations.
- Your Job Coach will work alongside you to help you learn the tasks and be successful.
- Your Job Coach will provide training on effective communication and proper workplace behavior.
- Your Job Coach will remain with you to provide support on a weekly basis during your employment.
- Your Job Coach will also act as a liaison between your work supervisor and co-workers, and will help facilitate supports to be a successful employee.
Why You Should Employ Our Friends
- Teamwork and morale improves. Employer report that their employees with disabilities are always open to new ideas and are great listeners.
- People with disabilities make good dependable employees. They love their jobs and embrace the opportunity to help the company grow.
- People with disabilities have staying power. They are more likely to stay on the job and not hop. Think of the money saved on recruitment and training.
- Employees with disabilities bring unique experiences and understanding that can transform a workplace and enhance your products and services.
- People with disabilities have skills and experiences that businesses need. They are committed to their work and demonstrate a strong desire to succeed.
- They will contribute to your bottom line. A large number of Coloradans say they prefer to patronize businesses that hire people with disabilities. The American public view companies that hire people with disabilities more favorably than those that do not.
Hiring individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities will:
- Improve customer satisfaction
- Improve communication between/across cultures
- Enhance employer brand
- Increase image value of company
- Positively impact your business's bottom line
- Provide a valuable opportunity for someone to contribute and become more self-sufficient
We Support You
FRIENDS of Broomfield can reduce the time it takes your business to locate workers by giving you access to a pool of pre-screened candidates. Free one-on-one training and support will be provided by FRIENDS staff that is in line with the expectation of your business. FRIENDS can assist with the identification of your business. FRIENDS staff will be there to provide ongoing supports and job retention servic